Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Indictment handed down in rape case; school employee being held without bond

October 7, 2013
By DAVE GOSSETT - Staff writer (dgossett@heraldstaronline.com) , The Herald-Star

STEUBENVILLE - William Rhinamin, the director of technology for Steubenville City Schools was arrested Monday afternoon after he was named in a four count indictment announced Monday evening by Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.

Rhinamin was arrested at his Mingo Junction home at approximately 4:30 p.m. Monday by Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents and then transported to the Jefferson County jail.

DeWine told the Herald-Star Monday evening Rhinamin was issued a no bond order and will remain in the county jail until his arraignment Wednesday afternoon in Jefferson County Common Pleas Court.

DeWine said the Monday indictment naming Rhinamin "is the first indictment issued by the special grand jury reviewing whether additional crimes were committed regarding the Steubenville teen rape case."

The 53-year old Rhinamin is facing several charges including tampering with evidence, a third degree felony; obstructing justice, a fifth degree felony; obstructing official business, a second degree misdemeanor and perjury, a third degree felony.

Summit County retired Judge Patricia Ann Cosgrove is expected to preside over the Wednesday afternoon arraignment proceeding.

Cosgrove was appointed by the Ohio Supreme Court to oversee the special grand jury investigating the Steubenville rape case.

Steubenville City Schools Superintendent Michael McVey said Monday evening he, "was aware of the situation," but declined additional comment.

DeWine said in a Monday evening telephone interview the grand jury will continue to review evidence.

"The grand jury work is not done and the panel will continue to meet. Our goal is to find the truth. Some investigations take time and this investigation is ongoing," declared DeWine.

"I am not going to speculate on future indictments. That wouldn't be fair. But the grand jury will continue meeting," added DeWine.

Two Steubenville High School students, Ma'Lik Richmond and Trent Mays, were convicted of rape earlier this year in connection with an incident in August 2012. Mays also was found delinquent of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material for having a picture of the 16-year-old victim in an outgoing text message on his cell phone.

The special grand jury has met 10 times since it was seated on April 15.

DeWine announced the grand jury March 17, the same day a judge convicted two teens of raping the Weirton girl after an alcohol-fueled party following a football scrimmage in August 2012.

A key issue before the panel has been whether adults such as coaches or school administrators knew of the rape allegation but failed to report it as required by state law.

The grand jury has worked off and on since beginning work April 30. That day, investigators searched Steubenville High School and the local school board offices.

Investigators also searched Vestige Digital Investigations, a digital forensics storage company in Medina, in northeast Ohio. The company's connection to the case was unclear, and it has denied it's the subject of a criminal investigation.

 
 

EZToUse.com

I am looking for: